What’s a podiatrist? What do they treat? And what should you expect on your first appointment?
In this post, we answer all these questions and help you find a podiatrist in Alexandria VA. Let’s jump right on it.
What is a podiatrist?
A podiatrist, also known as a doctor of podiatric medicine or a podiatric physician, is a medical specialist whose primary task is to help diagnose and treat problems affecting your feet, ankles, and legs.
What exactly do podiatrists do?
Having trained in a four-year podiatric medical school and interned as residents for at least three years, podiatrists are licensed to:
· Perform feet, ankle, and leg surgery
· Reset broken feet, ankle, and leg bones
· Prescribe drugs
· Order lower leg and feet X-rays
· Order lab tests.
What conditions can a podiatrist treat?
Podiatrists treat a gamut of foot and ankle conditions and illnesses including (but not limited to):
· Stress fractures
· Achilles tendonitis
· Foot and ankle sprains
· Morton’s neuroma
· Foot, ankle, leg, or heel pain
· Wart-like growths on your feet
· Foot and ankle deformities – e.g. hammertoes and bunions
· Nail disorders resulting in thick, ingrown, or discolored toenails
What should you expect from podiatrists?
So, what should you expect when you visit the podiatrist?
Remembering that podiatrists are just like other doctors, you’ll be asked about your medical history and what medication you’re currently taking.
The doctor may evaluate the range of motion in your joints by asking you to do simple exercises like walking and standing. Suitable treatment options will then be recommended.
Where to find a podiatrist?
Our experienced team led by Dr. Lonny Nodelman is here to help. Request your appointment today if you’re looking for a podiatrist in Alexandria VA.
Looking for more insight? Check out our previous posts:
· Ankle Fractures Treatment Northern VA
· How to Choose a Foot Sports Injury Specialist
· Minimally Invasive Achilles’ Tendon Repair
Disclaimer: Any information provided in this blog is not intended to replace medical advice given by qualified professionals.